Just to tell you that the Shiny New Books Christmas Extra Shiny edition is now online with 34 new reviews and articles for your delectation. There’s a bit of an ‘Oscar-Fest’ (Wilde that is) going on here here and here, plus a wide variety of other book in the mix.
I’ve contributed five pieces to this edition:
- Number 11 by Jonathan Coe – a brilliant social satire about 21st century living and the economy
- The Winter Place by Alexander Yates – an excellent YA novel that incorporates Finnish folklore into a contemporary tale of New York teens’ grief and going to live with the Finnish grandparents they never knew existed.
- A Lion Was Learning to Ski by Ranjit Bolt – a book of read out loud limericks from the playwright/translator.
- Spectacles by Sue Perkins – a fun but also thoughtful memoir from the Sue we know and love from GBBO. Wonderful cover too!
- The History of Rock ‘n’ Roll in Ten Songs & Real Life Rock by Greil Marcus. Not one, but two books, by one of the best writers about popular music.